Friday, July 31, 2009

Linear equations HELP in Pre-Algebra?

I am asking for HELP. not answers. I can only see my tutor once a week which was Thursday and we went over two lessons briefly and unfortanetly I don't remember much on the second lesson, the first I did fine.Since last time I asked for HELP everybody got butt hurt so I replaced the numbers so none of these questions are actually on my homework. So, for question type number 1: how would I find out if this is a real linear equation:A- y=3x then theres one like B- y=4 and then C-y=2x squared D-y=-x+4, all different questions. And this type;Solve the equation: what would be the ordered pair? 2=x+2 and another is y=2+4 when x is -2. Another type; when solving the equation for y:x + y + 6 = 7 – x. Then I have a bunch of these types: rearrange the equation:y – 2x + 14 = 3x -5. There is only 3 types of equations with 8 questions and none are on my homework for those of you who will try to tell me I'm cheating. THANKS FOR HELPING.

Linear equations HELP in Pre-Algebra?
Type one- draw a graph, plug in some values for the variable in, solve for y and plot it and see if you get a straight line on the graph.


Not sure on the second one,


but the last one is a simplification, ie put all the x's to one side of the equal sign and everything else on the other so


-2x+14=3x-5 becomes


14-5=3x + 2x
Reply:An equation is linear if it just has one variable, or if it has two variables that don't have exponents and are not multiplied together or divided by each other.





The one saying solving the equation for y:x + y + 6 = 7 – x. means get the y by itself by adding the opposite of the things on the same side of the equal sign that y is on. Like this:





x + y + 6 = 7 – x


-x.......-6....-6- x





y = 1 - 2x


No comments:

Post a Comment