Monday, May 24, 2010

Will this affect my chance at Med. school?

Due to some of lifes problems, I ended with a C in Sociology, a B in English and a Withdrawal in Anatomy. My first semster in college that I would love to think does not exist, but it does. This semester was my last one as a freshman.





Ok, Im ready to get back on track, Im going to take two honor courses at the JC Im going to, a pre-cal course and an upper level Chemistry course. If I do well in my continuing semesters, start volunteering, joining internships, and tutoring, will Med. schools put such importance on my bad semester?

Will this affect my chance at Med. school?
I'm pretty sure there are no life problems on the planet that should make you make below an "A" in a freshman level sociology class. I'm pretty sure you're screwed....thought about chiropractic or podiatry?
Reply:Graduate school/med school/law school all have their own tests and requirements. The most general of those is GPA in undergrad. There are 2 ways your GPA can be viewed. You overall gpa and the last 2 years (or 60 credits) before you graduate. The reason they look at the lat 60 credits is because those should be your major classes. The grad school wants to see how well you did in your chosen course of study. But, they also want to make sure you didn't either completly blow off your first 2 years or take a lot of filler classes to get A's to pad your GPA.





having said that there's a way to erase bad grades. You can either take that class over and replace it with the new grade (hopefully a higher grade) or you can take the alternative class. Just about every class has a alternative class that is considered by the college to be the academic equivalent. They have to do this because if a class is a requirement and a student can't get into it because of no fault of his/her own they have to offer an alternative class to allow the studen to take. So they match up most classes and figure out that sociology 320 is the same as statistics 330 (just an example). but if you take the class or alternative and get a better grade the old grade goes away.


No comments:

Post a Comment