Saturday, May 22, 2010

Help me! What are the chances of me getting into a good UC??!!!?

Hi there. I am currently a high school senior and applying to college this fall. Can you guys help me out and give me some feedback and comments on how my chances look? I want to get into UCLA, UCSD, or USC!





Unweighted GPA= ~3.7


Weighted GPA= ~4.0


AP courses taken= 6 (passed with 3's or 4's on all butt 1)


Honor courses taken= 1 (English)


SAT1 attempts: 1690, 1900, (waiting for 3rd score)


SAT2 attempts: still need to take!





Took around 4 college math courses in 8th grade


Took Calc AB and BC in Freshman/Sophomore year


Eagle Scout


7 years of Taekwondo (2nd degree blackbelt)


2 years of after school tutoring (still current)


No clubs, no community service





What do you guys think? How can I improve my chances? I am most worried about my GPA, I received a C+ once in junior year, (got really lazy).





I appreciate it!

Help me! What are the chances of me getting into a good UC??!!!?
Well, your SAT scores are good, and your grades are decent. I wouldn't peg you at Berkeley level (sorry!) but I know you stand at chance at at least one of the UC schools. UC Merced and UC Riverside for sure. I think you stand a good chance at getting into UC Davis, UC Santa Cruz, UC Santa Barbara and UC Irvine. But UCLA, USC and UCSD? those are maybes. You're a good student, but you're not a exceptionally stellar student.





Some context would be good, too. You have one honors class and 6 APs. How's your school's pass rate? Is your school urban, rural or otherwise under-performing? How is your class rank? I said you were good, but I'm applying that in a context of a typical, good preparatory high school that sends a lot of students to college. But if you have those scores coming out of say ... Santee High in LA, then you'd look AMAZING to the admissions comittees. Conversely, if you have those schools coming out of Monte Vista HS (one of the best HS's in the country), you're screwed.
Reply:How much money do your mommy and daddy have? You always see TV shows about parents buying their kids' way into school. It is the "not so free" enterprise way. Sorry, feeling a bit cynical.


No comments:

Post a Comment