Sunday, August 2, 2009

How to become a cartoonist?

does anyone know what grades I would need to become a cartoonist, im 14 and im not very good at much in school C's and D's I got on my last report card and I try really hard ive had tutors but I just dont get school work so I would like to become a cartoonist, im pretty good at drawing ive drawn for newspapers and school newsletters and I would really apressiate it if someone would tell me how to become one thanks

How to become a cartoonist?
In the arts I dont think your grades will be that big of a deal, but please stay in school and try to go on to college if you can. It will pay off in the future. Focus on your artwork. There are many great websites with tips and advice on cartooning. I 'd check out colleges or trade schools that have good art classes and try to get at least the minimum needed to go to one of them if you can. A good background in the fundamentals of art will go a long way. I will bet your grades will go to As and Bs if your doing what you love.


If nothing else, study other cartoonist, and practice practice practice. There are a lot of famous cartoonist and artist who never went to college. but you should if you can. I really mean that.


Like I said, grades are not nearly as important in art as what you can do.


If nothing else, just remember that our current president of the United States only had a C average in college. So you could also think about that as a fall back career if your cartoon dream doesnt work out! But shoot for the stars!! Go Cartoons!!! Its a much more honest and respectable gig.
Reply:No need for grades. Talent, practise, perseverance. That's about it. Have a look at John Callahan's work online for a prime example of someone who didn't make it through the school system, yet became a really good cartoonist. (Warning: it's very NON-PC.)








PS my computer tutor told me about one of his friends at school was no good at learning, unless he doodled. Ask him later on what the lesson was about, and his mate could put to any particular scribble relating to the lesson given. Worked for him; might work for you.





Another thing: visual conceptual artists for Weta Workshop (King Kong, LOTR) send portfolios of their work, not grades.


No comments:

Post a Comment